Sunday, 15 September 2013

Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette Review and Swatch


Hey Everyone!

We've all heard of the Urban Decay Naked and Naked 2 palettes, right? (If not, where have you been???) These products sold like hot cakes when they were released and both became a "must-have" eyeshadow palette. One complaint some people had with the Naked palettes was that they were very heavy on the shimmer. There was an exception of one or two matte shades, but besides that, all the other shades had some shimmer or glitter in them. 

After the huge success of the Urban Decay Naked 1 and 2 palettes, Urban Decay (UD) released the Naked Basics Palette. I got my palette for €26 from the Urban Decay counter at Debenhams
Let's get on to the review shall we?

Ready? Okay! 



Packaging 


The Packaging is sturdy and slightly rubberised. The case is a great size for travel and it's easy to wipe down. There is a large mirror for on the go touch ups. Good things always come in small packages! 


This product does what it says in the tin. It's a Basic eyeshadow palette with Basic colours. I was surprised to find 6 full sized eyeshadows of 1.3g in this small palette. The eyeshadows are soft and creamy and are amazing quality.  5 out of these 6 shades are matte which would appeal to many people.  You certainly don't need an eye primer for these shadows. I think that they are slightly more difficult to blend compared to the Naked 1 and 2 palettes.that is what's expected from matte eyeshadows. 




The shades are as follows (from left to right): Venus, Foxy, Walk of shame, Naked 2, Faint and Crave.

Venus is a white shimmery shade. This is the only satin shade in the palette. I use this as a brow bone highlight and in the inner corner of my eyes for some extra brightness. The colour payoff is amazing with this shade and the texture is very smooth. 

Foxy is a pale yellow shade with a matte finish. To be honest, it has an average colour payoff but is soft to work with.  

Walk of Shame is a pale pink matte shade. The colour is very subtle against my pale Irish skin tone. 

Naked 2 is a soft taupe brown colour with a matte finish. It has nice pigmentation and is easy to work with. 

Faint is a medium dark brown with a matte finish. The pigmentation is amazing with this shade.

Crave is a dark matte black with intense pigmentation

Naked Basics vs Naked 1 and 2 palettes

In my opinion, the shades in the Naked Basics Palette are very similar of not the exact same as some of the matte shades in the Naked and Naked 2 palettes. 

Venus is quite similar to Bootycall from the Naked 2 palette
Foxy is the exact same Foxy in the Naked 2 palette
Walk of shame has no similar shade in either Naked palette
Naked 2 is slightly darker than Naked from the Naked 1 palette
Faint is a little darker than Buck from the Naked 1 palette
 Crave is extremely similar to Blackout from the Naked 2 palette

Here are the swatches of all of these shades:


From left to right:

Venus (UD Basics), Bootycall (UD 2), Foxy (UD Basics),  Foxy (UD 2) and Wall of shame. 



From left to right:
Naked 2 (UD Basics), Naked (UD 1), Faint (UD Basics), Buck (UD 1), Crave (UD Basics),
 Blackout (UD 2)



Here is the size comparison to the full size Naked 2 palette. As you can see it's considerably smaller and handy for travel. 

My Honest Opinion

If I'm being totally honest, I would only use 4 shades in this palette. I don't use Foxy or Walk of shame at all. As I'm sure you noticed from the pictures, they simply don't show very well on my pale skin! Perhaps the light shades would be more visible on darker skin tones. Personally I don't think this palette was worth the money for the use I get from it. I was disappointed with the pale shades. I think this palette would be much better with two other shades to replace Foxy and Bootycall. I already had the Naked 1 and 2 palettes so it wasn't really necessary for me to get this palette. I had most of the shades in my Naked 1 and 2 palettes already. But hey that's only my experience and opinion. It could be different for other people with more tanned skin. 


You might like this if:

  • You're a fan of neutrals
  • You want matte eyeshadows
  • you want something to bring with you on the go
  • you want excellent quality eyeshadows
  • you want shades with good colour pay off
  • you want long lasting power
  • you don't need to use a primer
  • you want a product that is easy to work with
  • you want an eyeshadow with a soft texture
  • you literally want a basic eyeshadow palette

You might not like this if:

  • you're on a budget
  • you have pale skin
  • you want shimmer and glitter shades
  • you want a palette that's very versatile 
  • you already have the Naked 1 and/or Naked 2 palettes

My Rating: 3/5


I hope this review was useful to you. Let me know your thoughts in the comments. 
Till next time,

Shawna