Tuesday, 22 March 2016

Orange and Dark Chocolate Nut Bars Recipe


Have you ever read the ingredients of any granola or cereal bars? They're not as good for you as you think. Lately I've been making my own bars and I know exactly what is in them. I like to bring one with me to work and have in the afternoon when I need some energy and I start to crave a chocolate bar. I usually make a big batch that lasts me two weeks. I store half of the bars in a plastic lunchbox and freeze the other half of the batch for week two. They're pretty straight forward to make and take about 30 minutes. They are so delicious and all of the ingredients are all available from any supermarket. I am usually flexible with the receipe, I use what ever nuts, seeds and dried fruit that are in my kitchen! 


Ingredients 

  • 2 cups of nuts  (almonds/hazlenuts/peacans)
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup raisins, dates or currants.
  • 1/4 cup of seeds (Sunflower, sesame)
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 large orange
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Drizzle of honey

Step 1
Preheat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius 
Blend the nuts, oats and seeds into the blender.


Step 2:
Add raisins into the blender.

Step 3:
Add the zest of the orange and cinnamon to the mixture. 
Add the juice of the orange to help the mixture stick together 

Step 4: 
Add a little honey and blend until the mixture is sticking together. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Step 5:
Line your baking tray with greaseproof baking paper. Scoop in the mixture.

Step 6:
Using a spoon, press the mixture evenly into a layer about 1/2 inch thick.
Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. The mixture should be golden and still a little soft when it comes out of the oven. Let the mixture cool. 

Step 8:
Cut into squares and store in a plastic lunchbox i the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month. 


Enjoy! 

Let me know if you have tried them

Shawna
xoxo

Add me on snapchat: @shawnasherlock